The deadline for the Spring 2017 internship has passed, but please check back soon for future opportunities!
About This Position
An internship opportunity with the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Commercial Service office in Portmsouth, NH is now available for Spring Semester 2017.
The U.S. Commercial Service is the export promotion division of the U.S. federal government. As part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the goal of the U.S. Commercial Service office in New Hampshire is to promote New Hampshire businesses overseas, assist New Hampshire companies increase their international sales and work with local partners to leverage all of the State’s resources available to local companies.
As an intern, you’ll apply coursework concepts and critical thinking skills to real-world scenarios while working alongside representatives from the state and federal government, as well as private sector partners.
Interns should plan to be housed with the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Commercial Service office at Pease Tradeport in Portsmouth, NH.
As a result of a strong collaboration with the State of New Hampshire Office of International Commerce, interns will see the full range of export promotion programs available to New Hampshire businesses.
- Market Research: Utilizing federal government databases, trade journals and internet based market research to assist companies identify best market prospects; Conducting analytical research pertaining to specific markets and products
- Promotional: Helping to design and implement programs and events; Promoting overseas trade shows, export leads, seminars and other trade activities; Preparation of newsletters, webinars and other promotional materials; Seminar support
- Marketing: Contributing to the development of communications materials and reports; Communicating and engaging with statewide business leaders and government officials; Creating, updating, manipulating, and analyzing databases
- Business Counseling: Directing telephone inquiries from exporters regarding trade requirements, regulations, documentation, country issues, commodity classification, etc.
- Administrative: Website management; Data entry; Maintenance of trade reference resources
- Special Projects as assigned
Do You Qualify?
To be considered for an internship with the U.S. Commercial Service, you must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. Citizenship
- Volunteer (unpaid) positions only
- Ability to pass U.S. Department of Commerce Background check
- Enrolled at an accredited college or university at the undergraduate or graduate level
- Minimum of 12 hours per week availability from mid-January/February-May 2017 (dates flexible depending on semester schedule)
- Interest in International Trade
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Comfortable maintaining correspondence by email and telephone
- Knowledge of Word, Powerpoint and Excel spreadsheets & formulas
- Positive attitude and team player mentality
How to Apply
Resumes for this internship opportunity will be accepted until Thursday, December 1, 2016.
To be considered for an internship position, please submit a resume, a cover letter detailing your interest, and two reference letters (one academic and one other or two academic) to the right. *Please do NOT include any personally identifiable information such as social security number or birthdate on your resume or cover letter.
Selected candidates will be contacted for in-person or telephone interviews.
If you have any questions, please contact Taylor.Little@trade.gov.
Although this position focuses on international business/trade/policy, we encourage individuals to apply regardless of major or school.
If you are selected to be part of our internship program, you will:
- Gain valuable experience working with real-world business challenges and opportunities
- Learn about and be exposed to the different operating principles at the State government, Federal government, and private sector levels
- Develop competencies that will prepare you to launch your career after completing your studies
- Build a foundation for your professional network through exposure to a wide-range of government, association, business service provider and company contacts